WIPocalypse 2012

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Branson Retreat

My friends and I are back from our retreat in Branson, sponsored by http://www.ceciliassamplers.com/. They put on the best retreats - take a look at their website and sign up for one sometime soon!

But, back to our trip. We departed Denver on Tuesday, drove to Wichita, KS for the night and headed out for Tulsa, OK on Wednesday. First stop, http://www.thesilverneedle.co/, The Silver Needle. What an awesome shop - Vera Bradley right when you walk in the door. A fabric wall that's quite unbelieveable and very nice people helping us to find anything we wanted. Oh, and the Mill Hill wall - you want to see what that kit will look like stitched? Well, it's probably up there!

Off to lunch at a restaurant recommended by the employees - very good by the way - and we're on our way to Branson. The drive east through Oklahoma and Arkansas was so beautiful. This early spring we've had across the country gave us a most pleasant afternoon and the best thing - the weather was gorgeous.

Once in Branson, we meet up with old friends, from last year's retreat and from the Sue Hillis cruise my friend and I went on in January. We got settled in and headed down to the retreat room for stitching - that was why we were there after all. The theme of this retreat was Mardi Gras and the decorations were awesome.
The group was fairly small for the 2nd retreat this spring and I really liked that. It gave us a chance to get to know more of our fellow stitchers better and I think I even remember more names this year!!!!

Thursday, it's off to Cecilia's Samplers to shop - after all, I wasn't going to only support Silver Needle!! LOL I'm sure we stopped there at least once or twice more before heading back home on Sunday moning! Now I just have to figure out when I'm going to stitch up all this stash --- anyone else have that problem????

One very noticable difference between our visit last year and this year was the scenery. We were about 2 weeks earlier in April last year, but after a long, rather cold, wet winter, this was the view from our room in 2011.
While our room was on the other side of the hotel this year, I went back to the same spot to take a picture this year. Milder winter, earlier spring and an extra two weeks - my goodness did this make a difference!
Amazing!!!!

I did have small finish while I was there. My LNS, http://www.fancimats.com/, has had several day long retreats over the last couple of years. At one, we did some Christmas pieces - one of which was about 1/2 done. I figured getting a finish was something I wanted to attain and brought it along. Here it is completely stitched. I have an idea in my mind how I want to finish it - we'll see if it works out. I will post a "finished" finish once I get that done.
The cute little sheep with my finished piece is by Lantern Moon, I got it at Cecilia's; the little spot in the middle where you ca see a bit of fabric - it's the perfect size for my cell phone. So, my phone was out while stitching - just in case!!! I love it.

One more picture - thank you for staying with me through this rather lengthy post - I picked up a chart and fabric to stitch a birth announcement sampler for my grandniece (who turned 1 last January LOL). I haven't gotten a very good start yet, but it's going to be adorable. It's Tree Top Birth Sampler by Tempting Tangle, stitched on 40ct Crystal Conifer with the called for threads. The fabric is a bit darker than what Deborah Dick used in her model, but I think is going to be lovely when finished.
This is part of the "middle" monkey hanging from the tree. I can't wait to work on this more. Once I've finished the Darning Basket (Jackie DuPlessis of Finally Finished), I'll probably work on this a lot!!!!

This was certainly not the only purchase I made at Cecilia's, but the one I've chosen to share with you this time. Over the next few weeks and months, I will share more of the fun finds I made on this trip.

Thank you all so much for visiting! I love having you stop by and I really appreciate your comments. It helps me stay motivated to finish up my projects - I do have a tendency towards "serial starter" rather than "disciplined finisher"!!!

Be sure to hug family and friends today - and take time to stitch.

Debby




1 comment:

Jannie said...

Very nice blog Debby - I went to SN 2 yrs ago. Store was great, but we did not enjoy their fall retreat. This Branson one looks nice and comfy. Hope to see you soon.