WIPocalypse 2012

Thursday, December 27, 2012

MIA no longer.........................

Yes, I've not posted in a very long time. Somehow, things just got so busy and I had so many projects that I couldn't share, so I just.....................didn't.

I apologize and would like to hope I'll do better now and in 2013. I hope not everyone has abandoned me.

Many of the projects I was working on have been completed and given to their intended owners. September was the first event with items for dear, wonderful friends. We like to have our own weekend retreat in the mountains outside Denver every September and treat that as a time to celebrate our birthdays as well. This year I crocheted little pin cushion hats for everyone and put them and a few other little trinkets in boxes that I'd been purchasing throughout the year.
 
Sadly, I was not at our retreat with my friends when they received these -- but it was for a very good reason. My grandson was graduating that weekend from Marine bootcamp!
This is a picture of him, his girlfriend and their son. I know I'm too young to be a great-grandma, but he is the sweetest baby! And I'm so proud of my grandson. Worried, but proud.

After these gifts were done, it was time to finish up a couple of other gifts and get all the Christmas shopping done before the end of November as I was flying to Virginia and didn't want to mail any presents. I wanted the Colorado family presents to be bought and wrapped before I left. And I managed to do just that! Now why can't I be so organized every year??????

There was also a week spent in Santa Fe at the end of October for EGA's National Seminar. That was such a wonderful time. I get to see friends that I don't see very often, take wonderful classes, visit a "boutique" - which in this case was as good as many shops I've visited - Ruth Kerns' always wonderful book store and plenty of local shopping to be had as well. We stayed at Buffalo Thunder Resort and Casino which is a wonderful place - and boy did we get our walking in, that place was very large! I took an awful lot of photos, but will keep it down to 2 or 3 so that I don't bore you.

The art work around the facilities was absolutely stunning. Here is just one example.

I took a class with Joan Thommason and absolutely loved it. Although she's been teaching with EGA for a while, this is the first time I've taken a class with her and will do so again in the future if the opportunity arises. This piece was designed as a stained glass in thread; while mine isn't finished yet, I can't wait to work on it again. The colors are beautiful and the stitches have been a lot of fun. I'm not the best photographer and the colors are rather washed out in this picture.

I also went on a tour that visited a couple of weavers' studios and we also visited Santuario de Chimayo. What a wonderfully lovely and peaceful church this was.
 
 
I did finish one of my Christmas presents and then forgot to take a picture of it before wrapping it to give to it's new owner! Silly me. I've asked her to get a photo and when I receive it, I'll be sure to post it here. The other Christmas present, I took my time stitching on as this friend and I aren't exchanging gifts until January. So, yet another project that I can not yet post here - but I will soon, I promise. For now, I'm working on Tempting Tangles Birth Sampler for my grandniece as I'd like to get it complete and sent off to her by the end of January - I'd hoped to make it in time for her 2nd birthday in early January, but unless these needles start smoking very, very soon, it's not going to happen!!!! I will post an in progress picture of that one in my next post.

My trip to Virginia has been to visit my son and his family, attend the Williamsburg School of Needlework and enjoy a wonderful Christmas and New Year's. I will save the stories and pictures until my next post.

I appreciate each of you who visit and leave me comments. I again apologize for being "gone" for so long and really do hope to do better with the new year.

Hug family and friends each day - be good to each other - and make time to stitch!

Debby

3 comments:

Nicola said...

The best things in life are worth waiting for and I greatly enjoyed your post.

Kate said...

Lovely projects!! And congratulations to your grandson, and a thank you for what he is doing for his country :)

Jen Bailey said...

Welcome back! We should get together to stitch soon, my life is actually not crazy busy right now!!!